This is a very good idea and could potentially be an Apple killer.
Apple still has the “cool” factor but seriously, Apple wants you to buy an iPhone, an Apple Watch, an iPad, a MacBook, an iMac and an Apple TV. That’s 6 devices with so much redundancy between them. There’s nothing sexy or cool about redundancy – two of Apple’s core appeals.
Here’s why I love the idea of your phone doubling as your PC:
- Less is more. Uncluttering your life is always better than complicating it.
- One device to upgrade vs. six
- One device for your life – work, home, play.
- Store everything in the cloud, including backups. Lose your phone? Buy a new one, restore from the cloud.
- Charging docks that double as USB, HDMI and Ethernet connection stations.
- Your job pays for your phone.
Horsepower and heat are the only remaining issues. Battery life? Maybe. But if your phone is docked all day at work, maybe not.
UPDATE 02.23.16 – HP Elite X3 with dock creates portable Win10 computer
UPDATE 01.04.16 – USB-C display with included USB hub